Young Adults Explore Realities of Immigration
Our Catholic Charities Young Professionals-St. Louis and their guests learned some myth-busting facts about immigration at the first installment of their 2020 Learning into Action event series, held Feb. 20 at Schlafly Bottleworks.
Panelists Sury Garcia Sanchez, JD, and Meredith Rataj, MSMFT, LMFT, from St. Francis Community Services and Sara John from IFCLA – St. Louis Inter-Faith Committee on Latin America led an engaging conversation about the barriers people from other countries face when seeking hope and safety in the USA, including the reality of navigating the path to citizenship.
After the panel discussion, attendees had the opportunity to put their “learning into action” by writing letters to their legislators.
Check This Out!
CCSTL Young Professionals President Ryan Beckmann nominated the Catholic Charities-St. Francis Community Services “Pathways to PRogress” program for a Spectrum Employee Community Grant. According to Spectrum representatives, the generous grant was the largest awarded to date. Learn more about Pathways to Progress at ccstl.org/
Pictured left to right are: Spectrum EVP, Controller & CAO Kevin Howard; Spectrum GVP External Reporting/Accounting Policy (and St. Francis Community Services Board Member) Patsy Baldes; Catholic Charities St. Louis President Theresa Ruzicka and CDO Brian Thouvenot; and Ryan Beckmann.
To enable young adult professionals to encounter Christ through charity
To promote awareness of Catholic Charities and its eight federated agencies
- Service and Advocacy Opportunities
- Professional Development Speakers, Activities and Mentoring
- Social Events
- Awareness Activities for Agencies
- Connection to other Young Professional or Young Friends groups at other agencies
Young Professionals (YP), Catholic Charities of St. Louis
- Support Catholic Charities of St. Louis mission in the next generation
- Provide opportunities to fulfill personal call to service
- Utilize the energy and creativity of young professionals to spread the Catholic Charities of St. Louis mission
- Second Annual Happy Hour (April 2018) at Tapped. Featured info tables for each of our eight agencies.
- A bus tour and visited the following agencies: Marygrove, Good Shepherd Children & Family Services, Saint Martha’s Hall and Cardinal Ritter Senior Services
- Collectively “adopted a family” for Christmas through Good Shepherd Children & Family Services
- Decorated Christmas cookies and spend time with residents of Cardinal Ritter Senior Services at St. Elizabeth’s Hall – December 18
- Co-hosted a Toast to the New Year – Happy Hour with St. Louis Young Adult Ministry – January 20
- Participated as a team at the Good Shepherd Children & Family Services Annual Dodgeball Tournament – February 17
- Helped as raffle ticket volunteers at Marygrove’s Bloom Event – February 24
- Filled supply bags for disaster survivors affected by the tornado in Perryville & later flooding – March 2
- Supported Queen of Peace Center’s Peace for Kids Trivia Night as a participants – March 11
- Attended St. Louis Football Club Game with Marygrove’s Young Professionals Board, Young Friends of St. Patrick Center and Catholic Family Services Young Professionals to support and join profit share – April 22
1) Visit and sign up for email updates and monthly newsletters here
2) If you have specific questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Core Leadership Team meets on the first Thursday evening of every month. If interested in learning more about the Core Leadership Team, please contact Brian Thouvenot at email@example.com.